Dates and Time
Course will run from 8:30am - 4pm. Registration will open at 8.15am on the day.
- Blakers Lecture Theatre (MATH: [G18])
Terms and conditions
This course covers the basics of data visualisation and would be particularly useful for those wishing to learn the basics of statistical data visualisation.
Workshop attendees will learn about simple statistical graphics and understand which charts are useful for which types of data. Participants will be guided through plots of a single variable though to several variables and learn how best to compare different types of data.
This course will cover topics such as:
- Presenting data for a single variable: Including an introduction to histograms, box plots, and bar graphs
- Visualisation of two or more variables: Including an introduction to scatterplots, pairs plots, parallel coordinate plots and variable-width stack bar charts
- Other plots and maps: Including a brief introduction to plots for time series, bubble plots and more
- Data Ink: Essential parts of a graphic, Tufte’s Data-Ink ratio and how to increase it
- Colour and perception: Colour palettes, preattentive features
The course assumes no prior specific knowledge; some experience working with data is sufficient. The course will provide a framework for understanding and presenting data.
- $70 for those enrolled in a postgraduate research course (i.e. a Masters or PhD course eligible for Research Training Program funding) at UWA (GST inclusive)
- $290 for all other enrolments (GST inclusive)